Msvcp140 DLL is Missing From Your Computer: Fix It
The msvcp140 DLL is missing from your computer has been an issue of concern for many users when launching different applications such as Microsoft Office, Skype, WordPress, Sims4, etc.
The msvcp140 DLL file is a Windows DLL System File designed and distributed by Microsoft for Windows 10 and other earlier versions of Windows. Many users have reported encountering this error when they are launching games, applications, or certain programs.
What is MSVCP140.dll?
Msvcp140 dll is a key Windows system Dynamic Link Library (DLL) file that provides ‘execution’ instructions to some particular applications in Windows. Without its presence or proper function, the affected applications may fail to launch.
Msvcp140 dll is a key part of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015. This Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 is responsible for the run-time components needed to run C++ applications built in Visual Studio 2015.
This is why anything that affects Msvcp140 dll, affects the applications that require Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable to run or function successfully.
Note: We recommended that you download and install the missing Msvcp140 dll file because that is the solution that has worked for many users. If you need further guidance on how to fix Msvcp140 dll missing file, read this article: How to Fix the Error MSVCP140.dll is Missing.
What Does Msvcp140 dll is Missing From Your Computer Mean?
Sometimes the msvcp140 dll file may be broken or missing from your computer. When this happens, once you start a program, Game, or Application, the msvcp140 dll will be loaded from your SysWOW64 or System32 folder, and this is what prompts the “Msvcp140 dll is Missing” error message.
This means that the application, program, or Game you’re trying to open cannot access the required Visual C++ Redistributable installed on your PC. In some occasions, this error can mean that the program is conflicting with some of its components, such as api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll or vcredist_x64.
There are different “Msvcp140 dll is Missing” error messages, including:
- “MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling to fix the problem.”
- “The program cannot start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your PC. Reinstall the program to fix this problem.”
- “There was a problem starting MSVCP140.dll. The specified module could not be found.”
- “MSVCP140.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.”
- “Error loading MSVCP140.dll. The specified module could not be found.”
- “The code execution cannot proceed because msvcp140.dll was not found.”
The issues with DLL libraries may also affect Windows system programs and result in file explorer opening constantly.
Why Does “Msvcp140 dll is Missing From Your Computer” Error Occur
Errors related to the msvcp140 dll usually arise because of certain specific reasons, such as:
- Uninstalled Windows Updates
- A faulty application
- If the msvcp140.dll has been misplaced or deleted
- If the msvcp140.dll has been corrupted by malicious programs on your PC
- Because of a damaged Windows registry
- Third-party security software interference
How to Fix Msvcp140 dll is Missing From Your Computer.
There are several possible solutions for the “Msvcp140 dll is Missing From Your Computer” error. Here is a summary of the solutions you can apply:
- Check for uninstalled Windows Updates.
- Update the Application, Program, or Game causing the error. Make sure you update it to the current or Latest Version.
- Delete or uninstall the Application, Program, or Game, which is causing the error then reinstall it.
- Clean and Optimize your Windows Registry. You can use a third-party Windows Optimizing tool.
- Download the missing Msvcp140 dll then Copy-and-Paste it into the defaulting Application, Program, or Game’s folder.
- Download Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Package
Some users may struggle to fix the “Msvcp140 dll is missing from your computer” error. We believe the detailed guide we’ve provided will help you fix it. We also believe that you now understand what this error means and why it may occur on your system.
Read more about DLL files: