Error 0xc0000142: Top 5 Reasons
Error 0xc0000142 is a Windows application error that occurs when you try to open some applications. It occurs on Windows 10 but has been noted to affect other Windows versions.
Symptoms of Error 0xc0000142
When your PC or applications encounters error 0xc0000142, the first symptom you may notice is the error message display:
“cmd.exe – Application Error. The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.”
Users may also notice the following symptoms:
- Error 0xc0000142 appears multiple times an hour.
- The application cannot open (access denied).
- Computer running slow or reduced performance.
Recommended: If you have encountered error 0xc0000142 while trying to open an application, you don’t need to worry because you can fix it. Read this article to learn how to fix it.
Why Do I Keep Seeing Error 0xc0000142?
The actual cause of error 0xc0000142 is dll related. The dll is essential in launching an application and, if affected, can result in an error. Most users report seeing error 0xc0000142 after a particular Windows Update but do not know why it actually occurs.
The top 5 reasons why error 0xc0000142 keeps recurring on your computer include:
- Malware or virus infection can affect any application on your computer and make it abruptly malfunction. Malware and viruses stealthily infiltrate a PC and operate without you noticing while damaging applications or changing your system settings.
- Corruption or malfunction of the application or the program you are trying to access or open. It usually happens when the application is corrupted. For instance, outdated or incorrectly installed, then you’ll likely see the error.
- Corrupted, missing, or damaged Windows system files: This can be caused by malware, outdated drivers, full memory, or unintentional deletion of certain system files. This is also the main cause of failure of dll files and hence the 0xc0000142 error because these are the files that the application needs for its normal function.
- Incomplete or pending Windows or application Updates: If any program, application, or Windows is installed or updated incorrectly, you may likely encounter error 0xc0000142.
- Outdated graphic card drivers: When the graphic drivers are outdated and need an update, then you will see this error, especially when you’re playing games or opening an application that requires the function of graphic drivers.
Applications Affected By Error 0xc0000142
Error 0xc0000142 is known as an application error because it affects the function and operations of Windows applications. The common applications affected by Error 0xc0000142 include:
- Games, like Origin Games
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Office apps
- YourPhone app
How Do I Fix Error 0xc0000142?
There is no single way to fix Error 0xc0000142. Usually, fixing the missing or damaged system files will easily solve the problem and allow you to access the application giving you error 0xc0000142.
Before you try more technical solutions, you may need to run the application as an administrator and see if you can access it without the error. Also, you can restart the application you’re trying to open and try opening it again. If the error persists, try uninstalling and reinstalling the application, then reboot your system and see if you still see the Error.
If these workarounds fail to solve the problem, you can proceed to the following technical methods to fix Error 0xc0000142:
- Conduct a full system scan using a quality antivirus program
- Run the SFC and DISM Windows utility tools to repair the corrupted or missing system files. Such step may also help you other Windows update issues like 0x8000ffff error.
- Temporarily disable the third-party antivirus installed on your computer.
- Install Microsoft .NET Framework
Note: If you are not confident about performing these technical solutions, you can contact a technician to fix the problem.
Error 0xc0000142 can prevent you from opening an application that you need to use. Understanding the reasons why it happens can help you prevent its occurrence. If it occurs, you should take steps to fix it immediately.